Sunday, February 25, 2007

Dear Dad

Last night our church had a father/daughter banquet. It was lovely, and we had a great time! I know it's not Father's Day yet, but I'd like to say a few words about fathers. They have a tremendous job, raising girls... I can imagine it must be hard... especially if they never had sisters, like my dad. (Beware, I'm biased, my dad is the best in the world) =]

Don't be afraid to spend time with your dad. Laugh with him, cry with him, tell him how you're feeling. A relationship with your dad is precious, don't let it waste away. We had a speaker at the banquet, and he expressed how if he could raise his girls again, (they're all older now) he would spend more time with them. While you're still young, don't let the days pass without letting your dad know how much you love him. You never know, spending time with your dad may create the best times in your life!

Here is a poem I found by Ginger C. Smith:

I'm just sitting here thinking about what you mean to me,
Remembering all the things you've done for me,
You've been there for me from the start,
Knowing what to say to keep me from falling apart,
Taking everything that comes your way good or bad,
Even though you're not my father you'll always be my dad,
I can't count high enough for every time you've went out of your way,
Knowing you're there keeps me going everyday,
When I need encouragement, you're the first to give it,
When I have a problem, you always have the best advise to fix it,
I could sit here and say Thank-you from now till I die but it wouldn't be enough,
I can only wish if I went through what you did I could be so tough,
I'll always love you unconditionally,
From now till an eternity.

2 comments:

HBSinger said...

Aww that is soo neat!! Our church has one of those every Father's Day. Actually last year was our very first one. Thanks for sharing that poem!! That was really touching!
Love ya! -Hannah

Anonymous said...

That was a great post, Sarah! Thanks! I love the poem...very touching! :)